Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Sick Baby :(

I know I went into just a little bit of detail on my last post, but I've decided to actually explain what's been going on. So a few weeks ago Dallas was perfectly fine, except for a runny nose and a fever. I panicked since this was Dallas's first time being anything close to sick and took him to the doctor. We saw a nurse practitioner and she said that it was nothing more than a minor upper respiratory infection. Ok, so nothing to worry about! Then a couple of days later, on a Sunday morning, Dallas's fever spiked to about 102. Well I panicked again and this time, his doctor's office wasn't open yet, so I loaded Dallas up on some baby Tylenol and took him to the Urgent Care. Well, since I had just given him a fever reducer, he had no fever. So of course I was lying...right? Well the doctor comes in with an attitude, saying Dallas was fine, nothing to worry about, blah, blah, blah. He didn't stay in the room for more than 2 minutes and didn't believe me when I told him Dallas just had a pretty high fever. So after a long, miserable, night for Dallas, I took him to his doctor first thing Monday morning. We saw the nurse practitioner again, and this time, she sees the start of an ear infection. I told her that Brandon is allergic to Penicillin and Augmentin and so she decided to put Dallas on Omnicef, which is basically one of the strongest antibiotics that can even be prescribed to infants. Well, this stuff was so rough on his poor little tummy, that he had non-stop diarrhea and vomiting. We ended up taking him to the ER on Thursday morning for dehydration. Thankfully, he didn't have to be admitted, and he was fine. We just had to load him up on Pedialite to keep him hydrated. The ER doctor also prescribed a medication used in cancer patients to help Dallas not be so nauseous so that he could hopefully keep everything down. We decided to stop the Omnicef since he still had diarrhea and vomiting.. We made a follow up with an actual doctor the day before Thanksgiving to see what our options were. The doctor then prescribed a Z-Pack for his ear infection and ordered that we get a stool sample to make sure Dallas didn't have Clostridium difficile (C. Diff.) - a bacterial infection that causes diarrhea and other intestinal disease when competing bacteria are wiped out by antibiotics. We dropped off a stool sample at the nearest lab on Saturday and took Dallas to the doctor again yesterday. Well the results came back and he is positive for C. Diff. Those first antibiotics were just too rough and wiped out all of the good bacteria in his belly. His ear infection is also worse. Since we tried some of the strongest antibiotics already for his ear infection, the doctor decided to go ahead and give him a shot of antibiotics. It's a three day process and hopefully it works. He got his first shot yesterday, and has another one today and tomorrow. He's also on MORE antibiotics for the C. Diff. so hopefully he won't have anymore diarrhea. If his ear infection doesn't get better, then we'll have to take him to an ENT (Ear, Nose & Throat specialist) and he may have to get tubes in his ears. This is so absolutely heart-breaking. I've never experienced anything so sad. Having a sick baby is the absolute worst thing ever. I can't wait for my poor baby to feel better again.

No comments:

Post a Comment